Okay, so I think I had the jitters more than either of the kids. I woke up a couple of times during the night and then was up for the day at 5:30.
Today was Nolan and Meghan's first day of pre-school at Totland College. They woke up full of anticipation for the day ahead. Yesterday, they received post cards from Mrs. Connor telling them how excited she was to meet them and start the school year. That on top of their new backpacks, their new shoes and their new clothes just really got them all excited for the day.
So, everyone got their outfits on and kept asking "Whener we goin', Mama?" Daddy stayed home from his morning at work to see them off. We posed for pictures in the house, out of the house, with backpacks, without backpacks, walking, running, you name it. We piled into the van and headed off down the street. The excitement in the air when we pulled into the parking lot was so obvious. We headed in and on downstairs to the classroom. Once the door opened, it was a free for all. We hung our backpacks on hooks outside the classrom and headed in to look for our names. The kids find their names on the table and then stick them to the wall to show that they are there. All three kids started wandering the room, checking everything out. I watched them for a bit and then we decided it was time to leave. Nolan had other ideas... He came running after me as I ascended the stairs. I had to turn back and pick him up. He clung so tight to me that I hated to let go. He was scared and nervous and excited all at once. I handed him off to Mrs. Graziano and left, with tears shimmering in my eyes (I didn't actually let them start to fall until I was out of sight of Nolan). I got up the stairs and out the door and managed to drop Doug off at the train.
Liam and I enjoyed a couple of hours of Mommy and me time and then it was off to pick the kids up. Liam was chanting their names all the way there. We went in and saw Chrissy and Sean waiting for Mattie's class to let out. We both figured that it was a good sign that we got no phone calls. I went down to their class and followed the other parents inside. As I peered into the room, I saw the kids peeking through the crowd, seeking me out. They were all smiles and we gathered all their stuff to go. Mrs. Graziano said that Nolan's tears didn't last long and he had a good day. Both teachers commented on how independent the kids are, how they don't completely rely on each other and that they don't often see that with twins. It was one of my many proud moments of the day.
Once we got in the car, I got to hear all about their day. The songs, the games, the playdoh, the sandbox, the snacks. It was such a great day for them and I can't believe my babies are little kids now!!



1 comment:
Awe! I'm so glad they enjoyed it. What a great milestone. I'm so glad to be sharing it with you all!
Post a Comment