Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Let's start at the very beginning, a very fine place to start....

Mmmmmkay. Where do I start? How will I do it? I would like to document these fun, crazy, tear my hair out, bittersweet, loving, happy, wonderful years of motherhood.I guess I will start at the beginning.

I began my journey into motherhood just 3 short months after my wedding. We found out that we were having a baby. We were excited, we were nervous, we were looking ahead to our future with our baby. Then, a week later, I started spotting, I thought I was miscarrying. I was scared, sad, worried. A blood test and a an ultrasound revealed to us something we never even considered. We were expecting TWINS! Wow! Our life had changed in an instant! We had a pretty uneventful pregnancy. I felt great most of the time. Dr. Shakr had me go to half days at work in October, by December, I stopped working. I scheduled a c-section for February 23 (so they didn't have to share a birhday with Daddy ;)). Well, little did I know that these little beings had a different idea. On February 14, I started to feel exhausted and had stomach pains. On the morning of the 15th, I called the ob's office and they sent me to labor and delivery. I was put on a monitor and the babies seemed okay. The doctor wasn't seeing contractions at all and so I was about to be sent home. One of the nurses asked about my bloodwork..."What bloodwork?" I asked. So, they took some blood and sent it off to the lab. It turns out that I had developed HELLP syndrome. These babies were coming TODAY!!! I needed platelets and I needed them fast. I got a platelet transfusion and then my blood was checked again. My count was still pretty low so they ordered another transfusion. At this point, we were told that I would be delivering these babies under general anesthesia, which meant that Doug would not be there for the delivery...I would be alone and out. Luckily, Maureen Q. was one of the nurses on that day and she asked to be in with me. It was nice to have someone I knew there as I was put under, she held my hand and I drifted off. I woke up I don't know how much later and it was all done....I was drugged (mag sulfate among other things) and they wheeled me out to recovery. I still didn't know what we had, was it two girls, a boy and a girl, two boys? Doug was there with the babies as I came out. He looked at me and asked..."Do you know what we had?" I shook my head and he told me. "We have a boy and a girl." The tears came, I was so overjoyed to meet these little babies that I had waited so long for. We talked for a little bit about names and came to our decision. Our son would be named Nolan Rea, by doing this, we carried on Doug's grandfather's name. Then we named our beautiful daughter, Meghan Elizabeth. With this middle name, she carried on her grandmother's name and her mom's middle name. We called our parents to let them know the good news. Then we called everyone else. It was such an amazing day.

No comments: