pri·va·cy [prahy-vuh-see]
–noun, plural -cies.
1. the state of being private; retirement or seclusion.
2. the state of being free from intrusion or disturbance in one's private life or affairs: the right to privacy.
3. secrecy.
4. Archaic. a private place.
So, what does privacy mean to you?
To an older person, it means keeping their business, their finances, etc. to themselves. Like my 80 year old neighbor, I just discovered for the first time today that her younger sister lives around the corner. She came up and introduced herself to me this morning as I was going out. She is the mother of twins and the grandmother of twins and wanted to meet my twins. I have lived here for 7 years and never knew she was right there.
To a teenager, it means maybe hiding their friends, their IM's, their plans from their parents, their siblings, anyone. It means time alone in their rooms, on the phone, reading their emails, reading their text messages. In a big family, it is a precious commodity.
To a three year old, it means one thing. Yesterday, I was getting dressed to head out for the day. I was in my bedroom with the door closed and Nolan came looking for me. He called out "Mama, where are you?" I answered him "I'm in my room" "Well, what are you doing". Again, I came back to him:"Mama needs privacy" And, to a three year old mind, that means only one thing "There's no potty in there, Mama!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
LOL! He is a funny boy!! Privacy? What's that? :-)
Post a Comment